POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Worldbowl - New Perspective Take 2 : Re: Worldbowl - New Perspective Take 2 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:17:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Worldbowl - New Perspective Take 2
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 19 Jan 2003 19:35:10
Message: <3e2b443e@news.povray.org>
> The moon looks a little faked. You should decrease its brilliance and maybe
> make it less blueish.

Hm. I've already figured that the moon had a wrong axis, that'll be easy to
fix. Though I don't think I'll get a moon someone will actually think I've
taken a photograph of. Right now, the moon is a sphere with a nice image-map
and a bump-map. I'll be fiddling with using less image and more bumps, but
I guess this is about as good as it gets. Making it glow less is a very easy
feature, most of it comes from a fake lens-flare. The blueish part is a little
more difficult, cause the actual image-map was tainted that color, mainly
for fun and artistic merit, not realism.

> It's still looking amazing. I could never make anything this impressive.

Thanks! But to be honest: when I was beginning with POV, I thought
the same of myself as well. Sometimes I do get that close to realism that
I'm surprised myself. It's mostly just a lot of patience and one small step at a time.

> One more thing. How do you make volume meshes anyway?

Well, for the flower-petals I just create one petal, which is a rectangular,
flat mesh. When I take the data of that and inflate it a little, I can attach
it to the first part, and thus, both sides enclose a volume. Inside this, interior{}
will take effect.
The essential part for volume meshes is that they have to be thoroughly closed,
without open gaps, and then, interior mostly works magically fine. At least
for me! :-)

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde