POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help on blocky heightfield : Re: Help on blocky heightfield Server Time
13 Aug 2024 23:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help on blocky heightfield
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 14 Jan 2003 11:42:53
Message: <3e243e0d@news.povray.org>
I see a couple problems with this scene: First, there is something weird
about your height field image. I substituted it in a scene I know looks
good, and your height field still looked bad. Besides the blockiness you
mentioned, the rendered image looks generally "washed out."

Second, I substituted a height field image that I know is good (800x600,
24-bit) and rendered your scene, and still got a little of that blockiness
in front (see attached image). That indicates a problem with the way POV
renders height fields. It seems to be more pronounced by your camera
position.

My suggestions: Make sure GeoFrac2000 is saving your height field image in a
non-lossy format. I see that your final image is a tga, but did you convert
it from jpg? My other suggestion would be to try using Slime-POV, which
James Taylor has also suggested. I remember some dramatic images recently
posted to this group that demonstrated a huge improvement in height field
rendering using this patch.

--
-David

"HFrik" <fri### [at] zonnetnl> wrote in message news:3e241b33@news.povray.org...