POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another HDRI image (72kbu) : Re: Another HDRI image (72kbu) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another HDRI image (72kbu)
From: Alan Holding
Date: 13 Jan 2003 14:02:27
Message: <3e230d43@news.povray.org>
"Chad" <ceb### [at] druryedu> spake thusly via
> Gorgeous image!

Ta.

> I have a different question: what setting(s) produced the shadows?  I am
> fairly clueless about HDRI, but have been playing with the scene from
> MLPOV--even using probe images with mostly a sigle bright area
> (beach_probe.hdr, for instance) I only seem to get vague blobby hints of
> shadows under objects.  Any help?

If you can spare 1MB in your inbox, I can send you the scene file so you can see
for yourself.

If not...

The radiosity settings were ripped off from Andrew Cocker's settings as they're
pretty fast and give nice results. With a count of 1600, the render took about
30 minutes on my 1.3GHz 256MB XP box:

radiosity {
  pretrace_start 0.16
  pretrace_end   0.01
  count 300
  nearest_count 3
  error_bound 0.1
  recursion_limit 1
  low_error_factor 1
  gray_threshold 0.0
  minimum_reuse 0.015
  brightness 1.2
  adc_bailout 0.01/2
}

The ambient setting for the HDR sphere was whacked up to 5:

sphere {
   0,200
   pigment {image_map {hdr "field.hdr" once interpolate 2 map_type 7}}
   finish {ambient 5 diffuse 0}
   hollow on
}

And all objects were given the following finish:

finish {ambient 0 diffuse 1}

Hope this helps.

Alan.

--