POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help with scattering on Skateboard wheel object (~52k) : Help with scattering on Skateboard wheel object (~52k) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 23:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Help with scattering on Skateboard wheel object (~52k)
From: Patrick Dugan
Date: 9 Jan 2003 16:13:16
Message: <3e1de5ec@news.povray.org>
I need someone with expertise in making "scattered textures."  I am trying
to make skateboards wheels.
I want the texture to be like milk.  You can see in it just a little bit but
not very far.  I based this texture
from Captain Tylor's soap texture post.  While it is somewhat close it still
isn't right.  As you can see in the
picture the lettering looks okay (to me) but the top of the bearing (in the
middle of the wheel) shows through
quite brightly.  I tried lowering the filter value, but once I get the
bearing no longer showing through the
texture looks way too solid.  How can I make this texture a little more
"milky?"  I want the texture to look similar
to the ivory plastic texture in a set of dominos.  Maybe not that dense very
close.  I am using mlpov and
HDRI (with the kitchen sphere.)

(I hope this is making some sense.)

This is the lighting/radiosity setup:

#version unofficial mlpov 0.8;
global_settings {
   assumed_gamma 2.2
   max_trace_level 25
   radiosity{
      pretrace_start 0.08
      pretrace_end   0.02
      count 80
      nearest_count 5
      error_bound 1
      recursion_limit 2
      low_error_factor 0.5
      gray_threshold 0.0
      minimum_reuse 0.015
      brightness 1
      adc_bailout 0.01/2
      save_file "SkateTest.rdf"
      load_file "SkateTest.rdf"
   }
}

camera {
   location <0, 2, -11.00 >
   look_at <0,0,0>
   up <0,1,0>         // These up & right vectors are used for screen
resolution of 1280 x 1024
   right <1.25,0,0>   // These up & right vectors are used for screen
resolution of 1280 x 1024
}

light_source {<10, 100, -50> color rgb <1.12,1.10,0.85> * 0.7}   // 0.8

sphere {
   0,200
   pigment { image_map { hdr "kitchen_probe.hdr" once interpolate 2 map_type
7 } }
   finish { ambient 0.3 diffuse 0 }
   hollow
}

Here is the texture I used:

#declare OWheelMat1 =
material{
   texture {
      pigment {
         image_map {
            tga "Bullseye4A.tga"
            filter all 1
            map_type 3
            interpolate 4
            once
         }
         translate <-0.5,-0.5,0>
      }
      finish {
         ambient 0
         diffuse 1
         specular 0.75
         roughness 0.001
      }
   }
   interior {
      ior 1.33
      media {
         intervals 10
         samples 3,4
         confidence 0.9
         variance 1.0/128
         ratio 0.9
         scattering {2, rgb <80,80,80> extinction 0.3}
         method 3
      }
   }
}