POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray parser in Java : Re: POV-Ray parser in Java Server Time
21 Jul 2024 10:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray parser in Java
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 9 Jan 2003 07:23:41
Message: <3e1d69cd@news.povray.org>
In article <3e1d5e30@news.povray.org> , "Vadim Sytnikov" <syt### [at] rucom>
wrote:

> IIRC, it (ISO C) did so for ages. And yet in reality all the compilers I'm
> aware of always had a macro version of getc(). My current versions of VC and

In C mode they indeed have.  But having the macro usually causes problems in
C++ compilers, so watch carefully if the macro isn't an inline function when
compiling as C++ code.

> GCC certainly do. ICC (Intel's Proton) that I used to run just used MS's
> include files, so it also did. So if fgetc() is a bottleneck (as you said),
> and you just change fgetc() to getc(), we would have free speed improvement.

The Intel compiler usually uses the header files of its host, doesn't it?

> It won't help my own version though, since I use multi-threading, and
> getc/putc macros are, obviously, unusable in that mode. But as to the
> official version... Or are use using MT library as well?

I don't know if the current Windows version needs to or not, the Mac version
certainly does need multithreaded library versions.

> BTW, there are currently only 4 calls of fgetc() in POV-Ray sources (inline
> function in file_pov.h, plus method of pov_istream_class in file_pov.cpp).

Yes.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde