POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Sterograms of a cube! : Re: Sterograms of a cube! Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sterograms of a cube!
From: hughes, b
Date: 7 Jan 2003 15:43:03
Message: <3e1b3bd7@news.povray.org>
"master of psico" <roo### [at] psicoch> wrote in message
news:3E1### [at] psicoch...

> hughes, b. wrote:
>
> i don't know the devices mentioned. - do they use one or two images?
> what are they doing, anyway?

I believe Ben T. Scheele was talking of those stereoscopes which were, and
are, used to see stereo pair photos. Or like the ViewMaster which used a
wheel of images. That kind of thing in general.

> sisgen is for "Single Image Stereogram GENnerator", right?

Yes, apparently so  :-)

>  > The difference is probably in just that the effect is done by
>  > repetition of an identical object which is shifted a little from
>  > each other. In the case of the cubes they are rotated, a lone
>  > pair of them would be like a stereo-optic photo.
>
> the difference from what?

From single image stereograms or random dot stereograms or other such
non-paired 3D images. Those cube renders are similar to stereo pairs but the
subject object has been repeated many times across the whole image abd it
isn't of just two views unlike the left/right eye kind.

> anyway, to get the same results as with sisgen, or most "magic
> eye"-pictures, only a few additions have to be made to the perl
> code i have posted: you would have to replace the call to "rand()"
> with something that picks the next color value from your texture
> instead. - this could be a little tricky however, because this
> texture can not just be "shifted" or "rotated" as in the cube
> example. the current color actually depends on the depth map and
> some additional parameters like the eye distance...
---snip---
> if anyone is insterested, i'll post another piece of perl
> code which is able to use "textures" to create SI[D]S.
> i'm thinking of doing it with ascii first, so you could
> maybe use your name as a texture.. ;)

Sounds interesting, but I failed to find where you might have already posted
anything of this. And I never used Perl so this is probably lost on me.
Guess others can follow okay.

>  > You can see a somewhat 3D plus 2D effect in any repeated pattern,
>  > such as wallpaper, without there being any shifts.
>
> hmm... i don't quite get what you mean here. - you really mean
> you see 3D effects when looking at your wall and crossing your
> eyes? :)

Yes. If you look at any repeating pattern cross-eyed or parallel-eyed it
will separate from the background (inbetween spaces of pattern). So the
effect is that of a two layer 3D scene, or more descriptively it looks like
a window with decals stuck on it with a wall or infinite space behind them.

--
Farewell,
Bob