POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More Fun with Mosaics (WIP) : Re: More Fun with Mosaics (WIP) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 23:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Fun with Mosaics (WIP)
From: Aaron
Date: 6 Jan 2003 15:20:55
Message: <3e19e527@news.povray.org>
> So, I used trigonometry to calculate
> the X and Y position of one endpoint of each row and
> then rotated the tiles around the Y axis.  The number of
> tiles in each row was calculated by taking the
> circumference of the circle defined by the end points
> and dividing it by the size of the tile.  I then
> rotated each tile to the proper angle.  Seems like
> a lot of work for just this effect and I wonder if
> there is not an easier way ...

Perhaps there is... you should post the comp.graphics.algorithms and see if
anyone can come up wit something?

It doesn't matter how good or bad your coding might be as long as it works
really.  I think it appears to do the job very well.

Now what about the cylinder?  For that matter what about other shapes inside
or out?  If you get that down then you have some real possibilities.
Automatic mosiacs or tiling inside a cylindrical rendered bathroom.  Might
be a neat tool to have!  :)

Cone might be the trickiest to do I think.  Of the primitives that is.

---