POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Sterograms of a cube! : Re: Sterograms of a cube! Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sterograms of a cube!
From: Jaap Frank
Date: 4 Jan 2003 22:22:10
Message: <3e17a4e2@news.povray.org>
"Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote in message
> I've posted a couple of images - see povray.binaries.images.
>
> It was about June time last year that I discovered how Single Image
> Sterograms ("magic eye pictures") work. You can actually make 'em out of
> plain ordinary text! I've done so with Notepad many times...
> <snip>
 > The basic idea is to have similar-but-no-identical repartitions in the
> image. If you take a cube and duplicate it across the screen, then owing to
> the perspective effect, you see each cube from a slightly different angle.
> If you view the thing as a sterogram (i.e., look at it cross-eyed), you get
> a 3D effect.
>
> However...
>
> The 3D bit comes out backwards! (That is, the front-most part is at the
> back, with the back edges at the front. It looks really odd!)

Your are mixing up two different Stereograms systems.
1. "magic eye pictures"
    For this you must stare at the picture, that will say you look behind the
picture.
    If you wait, your eyes look at different pictures. Your right eye takes an
object
    to the right of that of your left eye. Your brain makes a 3D image off these
    slightly different pictures.
    Exaggerated this is what you do:

    Left                                 |                               Right
    Object                            |                               Object
                        Position       |            Position
                        Left eye       |            Right eye

    If the left and right object are placed in the same orientation (not rotated
    each other), then your left eye sees the right side of the object a bit and
your
    right eye sees the left side of the object a bit.
    This is just the wrong way around. Your right eye should see a bit of the
right
    side of the object and your left eye a bit from the left side.

2. Crossing eye method.
    By crossing your eyes you look before the picture and your left eye now
    looks at the right object and your right eye looks at the left object.
    Exaggerated this is what you do:
        Left                               |                                 Right
    Object                               |                                Object
                        Position          |         Position
                        Right eye        |         Left eye

    This is precisely what a 3D picture should be.
    Now you can understand that the "magic eye pictures" were flipped
    forward - backwards. Your eyes saw the wrong side of the object.
    By the way:
    The strain for your eyes is the wrong focusing and your brain must be
    learned to do this. My experience is that young people do have
    difficulties with the crossing eyes method. Older people strangely can
    learn it faster.

Tip: Put the identical objects at a considerable distance and use a camera
        with an angle of about 6 - 8 degrees, else the effect is exaggerated.

<snip>

> Thanks!
> Andrew.
>
> PS. Can anyone here see sterograms btw? Kinda pointless if you can't :P

I've made even videos for the crossing eye method and can now look at
them for hours without effort. Indoctrination of the brain works!!

Greetings,

Jaap Frank

PS: I've attached an example. This is a part of a hemoglobine protein chain.
      Happy crossing your eyes.

Attachments:
Download 'Hemoglob1.png' (238 KB)

Preview of image 'Hemoglob1.png'