POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HDRI, why? : Re: HDRI, why? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:23:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDRI, why?
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 3 Jan 2003 05:07:46
Message: <3e1560f2@news.povray.org>
Your image is a bit dark. When I look in the glass, I would expect the sky
to be brighter and the road darker (if it's a road) and the table more lit.
This is what HDRI is for. On the other hand I agree, this HDRI thing is a
bit overrated. Some says it's the holy grale! But higher contrasts in
image_maps, used as faked enviroment, is more realistic. With radiosity, I'm
fairly confident it gives a better result than a mere 24-bit image, because
radiosity calculations react to light intensities above 1 (a white rgb)...
But with reflections, the docs says "POV-Ray uses a limited light model that
cannot distinguish between objects which are simply brightly colored and
objects which are extremely bright" therefore we have the
reflection_exponent keyword... So that shouldn't work in favor of HDR, but
I'm not fully certain about it.

Btw, you haven't used interpolation of your image_map, have you?

Regards,
Hugo