POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : caustics with radiosity? : Re: caustics with radiosity? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:14:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: caustics with radiosity?
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 2 Jan 2003 22:26:16
Message: <3e1502d8$1@news.povray.org>
"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote...
> Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote in
>
> >> Why is there an upper-limit of 1600 for radiosity-samples?
> > Because it uses a fixed table for the sample directions.
>
> Algorithm that was used to generate 1600 elements fixed array - can it be
> used to generate i.e. 20,000 fixed elements array ?

The 1600 pre-calculated elements were NOT randomly generated using a
pseudo-random sequence and a probability distribution function.  Instead,
there were carefully calculated by a special custom program.  As far as I
know, we don't have the source code for that program.

To understand why, take a look at the recent post by Mael titled "Sampling
in pov3.1" in povray.unofficial.patches.  Also check out his website here:
http://195.221.122.126/samples/samples.html

From these images you can easily see that the radiosity samples were
carefully chosen to be very evenly spaced.  This is designed to reduce
splotchiness caused by uneven sampling.

-Nathan