POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ANNOUNCE: MegaPOV 1.0 available : Re: ANNOUNCE: MegaPOV 1.0 available Server Time
5 Oct 2024 05:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: MegaPOV 1.0 available
From: Mael
Date: 1 Jan 2003 13:21:49
Message: <3e1331bd$1@news.povray.org>
> That would use huge amounts of memory, and I'm not sure how useful it
> would be.
> 30 floats and 2 pointers: 256 bytes for one node. The number of nodes
> possible is 2^max depth. At the default of 7, that's 128 nodes, or 32KB
> for one pixel sample. At 1024*768, that's 32MB a line, 24.6GB total.

I wasn't talking about saving the whole rays history.. Just adding options
to output one or more kind of pixel contribution (diffuse, radiosity,
photons, etc) as a separate image. Exactly as in the post-process patch ,
but instead of keeping depth, normal, etc we'll keep diffuse, highlights, or
whatever the user asks for. So i don't think the memory overhead would be
too important.
Now you're right maybe those separate layers will not be that useful