POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Need help with radiosity (Greg Ward vs Greg Ward) : Re: Need help with radiosity (Greg Ward vs Greg Ward) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with radiosity (Greg Ward vs Greg Ward)
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 31 Dec 2002 08:50:04
Message: <3e11a08c@news.povray.org>
Those two images are very different. I have no comments about Radiance but
if you want to improve the version with POV:

1) The sky is dark blue and responsible for the different color inside the
house. A real sky on earth will always be much brighter when the sun is
present. So bright that it actually turns white on a monitor / camera, that
takes a picture inside a building... Try multiplying the sky colors with 7
or 8, for example.

2) Recursion limit does not need to be 5.. Every step needs higher and
higher radiosity settings, and the result will still look more and more
washed out. I suggest a limit of 2 or 3.

3) Instead of messing with the whole radiosity block, I always use
"rad_def.inc" to automate the setup, since Pov3.5 came out. It's much
easier. I only need to override one or two settings, sometimes. (That is
brightness and recursion limit).

4) Of course I assume you'll be using an area_light, and good anti-alias for
the next render, to remove some of those artifacts.

:o)

Regards,
Hugo