POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : reflective caustics with radiosity : Re: reflective caustics with radiosity Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: reflective caustics with radiosity
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 30 Dec 2002 19:46:34
Message: <3e10e8ea@news.povray.org>
Actually, these two situations solve similar but different parts of the
global illumination problem.  Photons in POV only solve light transport from
light_source objects to the first diffuse surface.  POV's photons stop when
they hit a diffuse surface.  POV's radiosity, on the other hand, tracks
light transport from diffuse (or ambient) surfaces to other diffuse
surfaces.  Along the way, the light might be reflected or refracted.
Basically, POV's radiosity picks up where photons and direct lighting stop.

Because of this, using photons and HRDI together with the suggested method
(save_file and load_file) will provide an inaccurate (though probably
good-looking) render, because you would be using both photons and radiosity
to solve the same part of the light transport model.

-Nathan

"George Pantazopoulos" <the### [at] attbicom*KILLSPAM*> wrote...