POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Yet another slight improvement (pattern.cpp - quilt_cubic) : Re: Yet another slight improvement (pattern.cpp - quilt_cubic) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:49:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another slight improvement (pattern.cpp - quilt_cubic)
From: Tony[B]
Date: 29 Dec 2002 22:35:07
Message: <3e0fbeeb@news.povray.org>
> A lot of the patterns are like that...I think they were there to help
> old compilers optimize somehow.

I know what you mean. And then there are comments such as this one:

  /* This form didn't work with Zortech 386 compiler */
  /* value = Sqr((sin(x)+sin(y)+sin(z))/3); */
  /* So we break it down. */

I think we can move past this now... right?

> There are also inconsistencies and inefficiencies in the range
> clipping...the pattern code could be greatly improved.

I hope to slowly work my way through it and find more to fix.

> There are "bigger fish to fry" though...making these patterns as fast as
> possible will only speed POV a little. An algorithm improvement
> elsewhere (like transparency calculation) could accomplish much more.

Yes, that's true, I admit it. The sad part is that since I have trouble
comprehending other parts of the code, this is about as big a contribution
as I can make. :(

--
Anthony Bennett