POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : reflective caustics with radiosity : Re: reflective caustics with radiosity Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: reflective caustics with radiosity
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 29 Dec 2002 22:10:22
Message: <3e0fb91e$1@news.povray.org>
"George Pantazopoulos" <the### [at] attbicom*KILLSPAM*> schreef in bericht
>     This is where I disagree with POV-Ray's radiosity implementation.
> Radiosity is for simulating diffuse interreflection. Simulating specular
> interactions during the process of shooting radiosity rays is a waste and is
> better done using POV-Ray's excellent photon mapping. Fortunately this was
> easy to fix. I did it in my own personal patch, and it has resulted in some
> nice speedups when doing two-pass renders (in scenes that contain
> reflections etc). :)
>
> George

Hmm, I disagree actually.  For example: take a room with a light source (a
bright object, it won't work with a real light_source) and a mirror.  An object
in that room should have 2 shadows: one from the real light source, and one from
the virtual light source, the reflection of the real light source.  Using
radiosity as it is now, you can simulate this behaviour, but this isn't possible
in any way if radiosity doesn't take reflections into account.

I realise it would be mostly unnoticable effects, but I believe it's those
effects that makes a difference between a photorealistic rendering and an
obvious synthetic image.

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1