POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Watch 2 (127 KB) : Re: Watch 2 (127 KB) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:11:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Watch 2 (127 KB)
From: JRG
Date: 27 Dec 2002 06:40:55
Message: <3e0c3c47@news.povray.org>
Thank you all for your comments.

>This being said, I don't know if it's the focal blur or the jpeg but
>there's something funky about the pixelisation in the image.

About the focal blur... I did not use very low settings (blur_samples 70 variance 0),
and the grainess came quite a bit unexpected. I'm rendering a 1024x768 version atm
with better settings (blur_samples 200 variance 0)... if it does not look that good
I'll post the source so that everyone can raise it up to 1000 samples and start his
own 3 months worth render.

>> Rendered with Mlpov 0.81.
>
>Is it some path of Pov ?

Welcome to the real world... ;-)
Yes it's a patch, here on earth we talked about it recently. Have a look at
povray.unofficial.patches and povray.general for more information.

>How did you do the scratches on the surface of the
>table/floor/somethingelse? Is it an image map?

Oh I just rendered a simple scene like this:

//------------------------
/* scratches */
//+w600 +h600

camera {
  orthographic
  location -5*z
  look_at 0
  right 40*x
  up 40*y
}

#default {
  texture {
    pigment {rgb 1}
    finish {ambient 1}
  }
}

#include "transforms.inc"
#declare I = seed (0);
#declare ang = 0;
#while (ang < 360)
#declare num = 20 + 20*rand(I);
#declare i = 0;
#while (i<num)
#declare px = no;
#declare nx = no;
#declare r = 0.01+0.035*rand(I);
#declare s = 2+10*rand(I);
#declare _x = -20+40*rand(I);
#declare _y = -20+40*rand(I);
cylinder {
  -0.5*y,0.5*y,r
  scale <1,s,1>
  rotate ang*z
  translate <_x,_y,0>
}
#if (vtransform (0.5*y, transform {scale <1,s,1> rotate ang*z translate _x*x}).x>40
    |vtransform (-0.5*y, transform {scale <1,s,1> rotate ang*z translate _x*x}).x>40)
#declare px = yes;
cylinder {
  -0.5*y,0.5*y,r
  scale <1,s,1>
  rotate ang*z
  translate <_x-40,_y,0>
}

#else
#if (vtransform (0.5*y, transform {scale <1,s,1> rotate ang*z translate _x*x}).x<40
    |vtransform (-0.5*y, transform {scale <1,s,1> rotate ang*z translate _x*x}).x<40)
#declare nx = yes;
cylinder {
  -0.5*y,0.5*y,r
  scale <1,s,1>
  rotate ang*z
  translate <_x+40,_y,0>
}
#end
#end
#if (vtransform (0.5*y, transform {scale <1,s,1> rotate ang*z translate _y*y}).y>40
    |vtransform (-0.5*y, transform {scale <1,s,1> rotate ang*z translate _y*y}).y>40)
cylinder {
  -0.5*y,0.5*y,r
  scale <1,s,1>
  rotate ang*z
  translate <_x,_y-40,0>
}
#if (px)
cylinder {
  -0.5*y,0.5*y,r
  scale <1,s,1>
  rotate ang*z
  translate <_x-40,_y-40,0>
}
#else
#if (nx)
cylinder {
  -0.5*y,0.5*y,r
  scale <1,s,1>
  rotate ang*z
  translate <_x+40,_y-40,0>
}
#end
#end
#else
#if (vtransform (0.5*y, transform {scale <1,s,1> rotate ang*z translate _y*y}).y<40
    |vtransform (-0.5*y, transform {scale <1,s,1> rotate ang*z translate _y*y}).y<40)
cylinder {
  -0.5*y,0.5*y,r
  scale <1,s,1>
  rotate ang*z
  translate <_x,_y+40,0>
}
#if (px)
cylinder {
  -0.5*y,0.5*y,r
  scale <1,s,1>
  rotate ang*z
  translate <_x-40,_y+40,0>
}
#else
#if (nx)
cylinder {
  -0.5*y,0.5*y,r
  scale <1,s,1>
  rotate ang*z
  translate <_x+40,_y+40,0>
}
#end
#end
#end
#end
#declare i = i+1;
#end
#declare ang = ang +20;
#end

//--------------

...and used it as a bump_map. The map, with different scale and bump_size, was
applied to every object in the scene.

>The scratches on the face look a little weird,

That's maybe due to the fact that it's extremely scratchy. I just tried to reproduce
my mom's old watch, which is that scratchy.

>and it seems a little like
>it's hovering in the air.

As far as I am concerned, concerning this point, I know that it's not hovering so why
should I be concerned? Oh my.... English is hard. I mean, the watch isn't floating in
the air, fact, if it looks so how could I possibly fix it? :-)

Finally a strange thing which I couldn't fix yet: I get different results depending
on what I rotate: the hdr sphere or the whole scene. Specifically I get bad results
when rotating the sphere (the image gets extremely bright), while everything looks
fine when I rotate the scene as a whole (except the sphere that is)... weird isn't
it. The weirder (sp?) the bug, the higher the probability that it's not a bug but
some coding issue... well I couldn't find anything wrong with my code so far...

Cheers!

--
Jonathan.