POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HDRI tests (200 kbu) : Re: HDRI tests (200 kbu) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:28:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDRI tests (200 kbu)
From: Ive
Date: 25 Dec 2002 02:07:05
Message: <3e095919@news.povray.org>
> In fact before I tested HDRI I tried the following method with radiosity (to
> use with an environment sphere):
> texture{
>     image_pattern{jpg "mymap"} // grayscale map used to create variations in
> light intensity
>     texture_map{
>         [0 T_Sky {finish{ambient 0}
>         [i T_Sky {finish{ambient j}
>         [1 T_Sky {finish{ambient 10}
>     }
> }

This is the same method  I have used for my vermeer things, but you should raise the
ambient value. The dynamic range for daylight images covers a much higher range
as 0.0 to 10.0. Go up 'till 500 or even 1000. In fact this is the same as using a High
Dynamic Range Image as a backdrop. BTW the I in HDRI stands simply for Image
and those images are among many other things useful for global illumination.
The probes from Paul Devebec's page are in the Radiance format wich uses usually
the extension .rgbe or .pic (not to be confused with the mac pic format) so if you are
looking for light probes you can also use files with this extensions. (But I do not
know
how this is implemented in mlpov so maybe you have to rename the files.)

so long
-Ive