POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HDRI tests (200 kbu) : Re: HDRI tests (200 kbu) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDRI tests (200 kbu)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 24 Dec 2002 17:03:08
Message: <3e08d99c@news.povray.org>

197### [at] 3-enet...
> For lighting (rather than reflection mapping) you would not need more than
> the brightest 10% of pixels in the image, these could be lights behind a
> translucent sphere that held the matching image map so that you still had
> reflection/environment mapping. The lights would need to be directed at
the
> center of the sphere so as to avoid them illuminating the dark parts of
the
> map/sky.

In fact before I tested HDRI I tried the following method with radiosity (to
use with an environment sphere):
texture{
    image_pattern{jpg "mymap"} // grayscale map used to create variations in
light intensity
    texture_map{
        [0 T_Sky {finish{ambient 0}
        [i T_Sky {finish{ambient j}
        [1 T_Sky {finish{ambient 10}
    }
}

I didn't manage to get good results though. HDRI is much easier to set up
(of course having HDR maps helps a lot...).

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com