POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Skylight include file : Re: Lighting system blunders Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting system blunders
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 11 Dec 2002 18:17:44
Message: <3df7c798@news.povray.org>
"Jaime Vives Piqueres" <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote in message
news:200### [at] ignoranciaorg...

> (vnormalize((lct/REF_WHITE)+(<COLOR_FILTER.gray,COLOR_FILTER.gray,COLOR
> _FILTER.gray>-COLOR_FILTER))*EXPOSURE)
>
>   Then no local intensity involved now... only the temperature
> correction and color balancing, and of course the global exposure.

I think that if I do that, Intensity_Mult will have no effects any more, so
you would be unable to set the sky luminosty relatively to the rest of the
scene.

I use Lct.gray, Lct beeing the color generated by the sky model, as lumen to
get an final light intensity related to the original intensity and allow
Intensity_Mult to affect it. With the formula you propose, all
lights/colours will be normalized, every point on the sky will be of equal
'brightness' (in the r+g+b sense, not in perceptual luminance).

<snip>

> > I just ignored the parts I did not understand ;-)
>
>   Ah! This is an ancient technique... I use it so often that I even
> honoured it with the name of my web site. :)

And a nice name it is, too. I  like it.

> > Yes and no. I do not want the sky to be lighted by anything but
> > itself. Moreover, I want the sky to act as a light_source for
> > radiosity, hence the high ambient value and higher then <1,1,1>
> > colours as you go near the sun.
> > [...]
> > Yes, POV says to use ambient 0 in radiosity for non-light-emitting
> > objects. But I want the sky to be luminous, that is to light objects
> > in the scene. It is no only a pretty / accurate (?) background, it
> > also provides a realistic(? again) outdoor light setup.
>
>   That's what I supposed. Anyhow, the SunColor returned isn't
> supposed to have the sky color weighted in it?

SunColor is the color of the sky (given by the model) at SolarPosition. I
found that using a light_source {SolarPosition SunColor} led to nicer
images.

> > What are the problems with the way it originally is? Tell me what
> > isn't to your taste, I'll try to solve it.
>
>   Perhaps I've not explained it very well: How I can use it on my
> scenes, having this dirty (and perhaps stupid) habit of using global
> ambient set to 0?

Sorry, I read too quickly and misunderstood. I set #default{finish{ambient
0}}, which has exactly the same effect, unless a texture specify an ambient.
This wont work if you use global ambient to override a non-zero ambient
specified in a texture. But it shouldn't be much work to replace any ambient
float to ambient 0 or comment it.

BTW, the complete #default I most usually use is #default{pigment{rgb
.66}finish{ambient (fRad?0:.2)}}, fRad being a flag I use for switching
radiosity. That way it look nice (er... kind of) with or without radiosity.
Alternatively I set ambient 0 and add a secondary light_source opposite to
the first and less intense in a #if(fRad)...#end structure.

>   Well, going back to skylighting...

:-D

Povingly,

Philippe