POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Animation compression : Re: Animation compression Server Time
18 May 2024 02:48:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation compression
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 8 Dec 2002 15:03:08
Message: <3df3a57c@news.povray.org>
In article <3DF39421.274001F9@no_spam.com> , Simon Lemieux
<no_### [at] no_spamcom>  wrote:

> He tried using codec Sorenson 3 and the result, in my opinon, was
> disgusting.

You have to adjust the default settings.  This is much easier with the
advanced commercial version rather than the basic version that comes with
QuickTime for free.

>  I tried to find out about MPEG-4 and sound compression in
> iMovie doesn't seem to be pretty nice.

I am not sure what you what to say with this sentence and I don't use
iMovie, but if you just have problems using it, I suggest to export as DV in
iMovie and play with the compression in the Movie Player (aka QuickTime
player).

> So, I was wondering if there were any very good compressors out there
> for the mac that could compress a Quicktime movie (.mov) or an AVI or
> anything uncompressed, with sound, into an MPEG?

MPEG-4 will create the best quality available if the result should fit on a
CD.  Of course for MPEG-4 you should not use the default settings but the
maximum video datarate (1.5 Mbit iirc) and for stereo at least 256 Kbit
audio datarate.

Your other option is to use iDVD and put the result on a DVD.  Then you get
MPEG-2 and full DVD quality.  Of course that requires a DVD-R drive...

MPEG-1, while most compatible with i.e. consumer DVD players, will create
worse quality than Sorenson 3 (which proper settings).  Some CD burning
programs support QuickTime to MPEG-1 conversion it as far as I recall.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde