POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : some kind of lamp [0/1] (640x480 jpg ~90k) : some kind of lamp [0/1] (640x480 jpg ~90k) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  some kind of lamp [0/1] (640x480 jpg ~90k)
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 7 Dec 2002 21:08:41
Message: <3df2a9a9$1@news.povray.org>
6 hours and 32 minutes later...

This was both an excercise in hand coding and an attempt to see if i could
make a lamp that acted as a real light source. sphere_sweeps turned out to
take a long long time(!). I messed up a controll point in there, and i'm
sure you can see it. bah! each of the four globes hanging down contain a
light source. for this version, a 7x7 area light. The wall and floor are
actually the same pigment and its curious to me why they are so different in
brightness. the only lights in this scene are the globes. the globes also
contain a blueish media which aren't entirely as visible as i hoped, and an
IOR of 1.33.

but boy I sure like soft shadows. they could be softer yet, but this will do
for me. if not good enough for you, just squint your eyes :)

Oh, the intent... This was intended to be a magician/wizards lamp. they
wouldn't use a regular electric lamp, would they? I think if i use this in a
scene I'll replace the sphere sweep with a rough approximation of cyliners,
spheres and torii. The media and globe/lights aren't that slow otherwise.

Hmm, photons next? probably would be a bad idea since the light sources are
inside the objects that would refract the photons.

ross