POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : From the Vaults. -- My 1st Character Animations : Re: From the Vaults. -- My 1st Character Animations Server Time
19 Jul 2024 11:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: From the Vaults. -- My 1st Character Animations
From: Apache
Date: 7 Dec 2002 01:47:11
Message: <3df1996f@news.povray.org>
I've seen much worse!

BTW What I often see in character animations that the arms and legs move
almost completely independent of the body. But if you want to walk without
falling you really need to use your body too. Ever watched them
sports(wo)men running? They kind of twist their body in order to press
theirselves forward!

"Tom Bates" <tho### [at] shawca> wrote in message
> These are the results of my first attempts at character
> animation back in April 1996.
>
> With my current work getting my character to walk
> and run, I thought it would be fun to dig out my very
> first attempt at this sort of thing.
>
> The character model was much simpler then, and
> it had no IK.  And it originally wasn't done with POV.
>
> <boring bit -- skip if you want>
> Back in '96 I had found a site with raytraced lego
> scenes and the scene files were downloadable.
> They were done with Rayshade, a freeware raytracer.
> I downloaded the scenefiles, and downloaded the
> source files for Rayshade.  I wasn't able to get
> Rayshade to compile (for various reasons) so I
> decided to embark on creating my own raytracer,
> based on the Rayshade source files.
>
> I was able to get it to work, although there were no
> optimizations in the calculations, and it didn't have
> any support for textures other than pigments and
> finishes.  It took a couple of months to create, and
> in the end I was able to do a few simple animations,
> including the ones attached.
>
> (I never did get the Lego scene files to work--they
> were too big for my program/computer (at the time)
> to handle.)
>
> I intended to enhance my program with optimizations,
> other features, and an improved grammar.  However,
> before I was able to find time to do so, I discovered
> POV.
>
> My program has been shelved since, with no regrets.
> And sometimes I take some of my old *.RAY's and
> convert them to *.POV's
> </boring bit>
>
> Tom Bates.
>
> --
> #macro P(O,K,E)light_source{<O,5*K,5*E>1}#end
P(1,-1,1)P(1,1,-1)P(1,-1,-1)#local
> C=pigment{gradient y color_map{[.46rgb 1][.46rgb 0][.54rgb 0][.54red
1]}}sphere{
> .5.5pigment{gradient x pigment_map{[.98C][.98rgb 0][.99rgb 0][.99blue
1]}}finish
> {brilliance
3phong.5}}P(21,1,-1)P(1,1,1)camera{location<2.1,.1,.9>look_at.5}//TB