POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : From the Vaults. -- My 1st Character Animations : From the Vaults. -- My 1st Character Animations Server Time
19 Jul 2024 11:28:12 EDT (-0400)
  From the Vaults. -- My 1st Character Animations
From: Tom Bates
Date: 6 Dec 2002 19:12:00
Message: <3df13cd0@news.povray.org>
These are the results of my first attempts at character
animation back in April 1996.

With my current work getting my character to walk
and run, I thought it would be fun to dig out my very
first attempt at this sort of thing.

The character model was much simpler then, and
it had no IK.  And it originally wasn't done with POV.

<boring bit -- skip if you want>
Back in '96 I had found a site with raytraced lego
scenes and the scene files were downloadable.
They were done with Rayshade, a freeware raytracer.
I downloaded the scenefiles, and downloaded the
source files for Rayshade.  I wasn't able to get
Rayshade to compile (for various reasons) so I
decided to embark on creating my own raytracer,
based on the Rayshade source files.

I was able to get it to work, although there were no
optimizations in the calculations, and it didn't have
any support for textures other than pigments and
finishes.  It took a couple of months to create, and
in the end I was able to do a few simple animations,
including the ones attached.

(I never did get the Lego scene files to work--they
were too big for my program/computer (at the time)
to handle.)

I intended to enhance my program with optimizations,
other features, and an improved grammar.  However,
before I was able to find time to do so, I discovered
POV.

My program has been shelved since, with no regrets.
And sometimes I take some of my old *.RAY's and
convert them to *.POV's
</boring bit>

Tom Bates.

--
#macro P(O,K,E)light_source{<O,5*K,5*E>1}#end P(1,-1,1)P(1,1,-1)P(1,-1,-1)#local
C=pigment{gradient y color_map{[.46rgb 1][.46rgb 0][.54rgb 0][.54red 1]}}sphere{

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Joe01.MPG' (163 KB) Download 'Joe02.MPG' (105 KB)