POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stained Glass Revisited : Re: Stained Glass Revisited Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stained Glass Revisited
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 5 Dec 2002 11:26:40
Message: <3def7e40@news.povray.org>
IME, crackle will produce a passable stained glass-ish effect and MIGHT
be good for scenes where you're not looking right at the window, but the
only way to get a really authentic-looking stained glass window is to
use a photo as an image map, or make your own in an image editor or
something similar.

The reason is that most stained glass windows aren't truly broken up
into random cells; instead, they use thick leading to create heavy
outlines, like a picture in a coloring book, and then fills in those
outlines with colored glass in a way that may OR MAY NOT be random.
There's no simple way to do this algorithmically, and in order to even
try, you would need to create a texture with some kind of edge-finding
ability, to create the heavy outlines.

(If you wanted to cheat halfway, I suppose you could create an image map
with just the outlines, and then use a crackle or turbulated cells
pattern to fill in the colored areas.)

As long as I'm on this subject, I should point out that a lot of stained
glass isn't crystal clear or consistently colored. A good deal of
stained glass is milky-looking, or has milky-looking swirls in it; some
is clear but too dark to really see anything through, and small
variations in color, color intensity, and transparency/milkiness are
common. If you don't already have a pretty good idea of what stained
glass is really like, it would be wise to hunt down some photos to study.

-Xplo