POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: True Area Light Sources (from p.a-u) : Re: True Area Light Sources (from p.a-u) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: True Area Light Sources (from p.a-u)
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 5 Dec 2002 04:03:23
Message: <3def165b@news.povray.org>
TinCanMan wrote:

> The area light shows the correct 'soft shadowing' of the sphere, however,
> the phong highlight is identical to that of the point light and the
> shadowline is similar save for a bit of softening. (*This is how it is
> intended to work though, according to the docs)

> Any other comments on this?

IMO it would be nice to have "real" area lights. By this I mean an adaptive
array of point light sources including jittering. It would be faster than
an array of point lights, but I know that it would also be slower than
the current "area lights". However, isn't raytracing supposed to be slow?

Thomas

P.S.:Some years ago, I tried to hack the code to change this behavior.
Since my knowledge of the povray sources was (and still is) small, I failed
and lost interest later on.