POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Amber? : Re: Amber? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amber?
From: St
Date: 4 Dec 2002 14:07:41
Message: <3dee527d@news.povray.org>
"Ive" <ive### [at] lilysoftcom> wrote in message

> Does this look like amber?

    Your amber is actually 'very' good. I've dealt with and set many
geographical variations of amber before now, and what you've got there
is a piece that's very old and 'weathered' - as if found on the Baltic
shores. It would be found in that condition and then polished for
sale. A piece with a bug in it like that would be very highly prized
and could be worth a small fortune.

    As for the colour of amber, it can vary immensly from a totally
unclear cream colour through orangy opaque to totally clear and bright
orange. It can also look green or yellow.  Amber can have many natural
flaws like cracks and what I call 'flowers' inside of them (not sure
of the exact term, but if you imagine a small disc shape in various
diameters and at different angles to eachother - these reflect light
fairly well, almost mirror-like).

    Nice work!

   ~Steve~