POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Translucent Wax Candle : Re: Translucent Wax Candle Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translucent Wax Candle
From: jfmiller
Date: 4 Dec 2002 01:53:25
Message: <3deda665@news.povray.org>
"Martin Magnusson" <lov### [at] frustratedhousewiveszzncom> wrote in message
news:3DE### [at] frustratedhousewiveszzncom...

> jfmiller wrote:
> > This is an experiment for a larger picture I'm construction.  It shows a
> > translucent wax candle.  Getting the wax to "glow" without being
transparent
> > is amazingly difficult.   Comments and suggestions welcomed.
>
> How did you do this? Sub-surface scattering or regular textures? It's a
> bit tough to judge without the flame, but to me the gradient seems a bit
> too sharp where it goes from light to dark. My spontaneous reaction is
> that it should be smoother, or maybe that the light part should be
shorter.

> / martin

This is more a problem with the "quick-n-dirty" modle I used.  Ther is only
one point lightsource in the seen and as you pointed out no flame.  I was
mor interested in the translucent wax effect.

I tried to use subsurface scattering but it didn't come out right.  By the
time I made the media dence enough to not be transparent I also succeeded in
blocking all the light.

JFMILLER