POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurfaces CSG problems (2 x JPG 400x300, 14+14 KB) : Re: Isosurfaces CSG problems (2 x JPG 400x300, 33+5 KB) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurfaces CSG problems (2 x JPG 400x300, 33+5 KB)
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 3 Dec 2002 13:45:25
Message: <3decfbc5@news.povray.org>

news:3DECE053.9F189988@tiscalinet.de...
> High!
>
> Marc-Hendrik Bremer schrieb:
>
>   Your container-box was much to large (if your dimensions are 1 meter= 1
>   Pov-Unit) this way you are wasting time (as the function has to be
calculate
>   more often) and you have to use higher max_gradient values. Might be not
>   that important in this stage of your project but will be later on.
>
> I tried a tighter container box - but then strange coincident
surfaces-like
> effects showed up (first image) or the window
> opening was almost completely filled (second image). I also played with
> max_gradient and used 20 instead of 5, but nothing
> changed...

Well ... I think these are the correct results :-) By using the larger
container you increased the max_gradient (probabbly a lot) needed for a
correct result. What you get by your first try is an incorrect result.
I _think_ (still untested) that you will get correct results by increasing
the "+2.35" in the rounded_box (the door). Perhaps you will have to increase
z-dimension of the box, too.
What happens? Your building is bigger than you think. By subtracting the
Brick_Fun_New you move most of the surface further "out". This way, the
rounded_box doesn't cut through the whole thing. As your max_gradient is set
too low to represent the resulting function, you get that semi-transparent
look.
Sorry, for that incorrect code snipped, I was in a hurry :-)

Hope this will work,

Marc-Hendrik