POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fluorescent strip radiosity test scene (22K + 24K) : Re: Fluorescent strip radiosity test scene (22K + 24K) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fluorescent strip radiosity test scene (22K + 24K)
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 28 Nov 2002 10:41:03
Message: <3de6390f$1@news.povray.org>
hughes, b. wrote:
> Hmmm. Those are very different alright. However... I just tried a test run
> of your scene script and using a count of 400 (much faster than at 1600) and
> error_bound 1.0 it looks okay too. So, guess what I'm wondering is, how is
> your patched POV better than using other values in the official POV? I
> realize of course that the settings I used might not work out for other
> renders, plus I only checked with a tiny resolution to see it quicker.

Using a high error_bound will smooth out a lot of the noise, but also
smears the shadows.

I've attached a cropped piece of the same scene run with

   radiosity {
     pretrace_start 16/image_width
     pretrace_end   2/image_width
     count 400
     nearest_count 15
     error_bound 1
     recursion_limit 2
     low_error_factor .2
     gray_threshold 0.0
     minimum_reuse 0.001
     brightness 1
     adc_bailout 0.01/30
     max_sample 30
     normal on
   }

The flat surfaces look nice and smooth, but compare the shadows around
the chairs to those in the previous images I posted - you'll see that
the lower error_bound gives a sharp shaddow edge which you would expect
to get from a light like this.

Mike Andrews.