POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Meteor Impact WIP1 (DivX 617k) : Re: Meteor Impact WIP1 (DivX 617k) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 15:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meteor Impact WIP1 (DivX 617k)
From: Tek
Date: 27 Nov 2002 04:09:16
Message: <3de48bbc@news.povray.org>
"pavium" <joh### [at] engineercom> wrote in message
> Tek wrote:
> >I've modelled everything to a scale of 1 pov unit =
> >1 metre, the planet has a radius of 6,000,000 units, so maybe it's just
hitting
> >the limit of POV's accuracy.
> >
> I don't think you've reached the limit of POV's accuracy at just 6000 km,
> Tek.
>
> At http://www.freecherrypy.org/johnc I use POV to simulate the Earth, Moon
> and Sun in order to create animations of solar eclipses.
>
> The radius of the Earth's orbit is 149,600,000 km, and my results don't
> suggest any problems with POVray.
>
> Of course the animations are relatively tiny, but I can zoom in to see the
> track of the total eclipse in detail -- no problems.

But are you modelling to a scale of 1 pov unit = 1 metre? I managed to fix
the problem using 1 pov unit = 10 metres, and I'd guess that you've got 1
pov unit = 1km, so you should run into similar problems when you get up to
around 20,000,000 km.

It seems that there's a maximum value that pov won't trace beyond.

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com