POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Anti-Aliasing Problem including sample image (58k) : Re: Anti-Aliasing Problem including sample image (58k) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anti-Aliasing Problem including sample image (58k)
From: Ive
Date: 26 Nov 2002 20:16:56
Message: <3de41d08@news.povray.org>
> I tried both anti-aliasing methods and different settings (deepness,
> threshold). A similar effect occurs in all graphics applications during
> resizing of images with smart interpolation algorithms. These resizing
> algorihms also average colors to deliver better results and therefore get
> cought in the same problem.

Thats not completely true. Photoshop uses internal the CIE L*a*b color
format for all image processing and does avoid that unwanted color blending.
L*a*b is also a possible color format for TIFF images but most image
viewers (like IrfanView) do not display this format correctly, maybe thats the
reason that not so many people know about it.
For high quality images, it's the best to render them without AA but twice the
size and then use P'shop to downsample them. See the attached (3x magnified)
examples. One is just POV with +AA0.0 +AM2, the other one is resampled
with Photoshop. If I remember right, ImageMagic works fine with CIE L*a*b,
so maybe it could also be used, but I have not checked this out.

so long
-Ive

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'aaTest-POV.png' (7 KB) Download 'aaTest-PS.png' (12 KB)

Preview of image 'aaTest-POV.png'
aaTest-POV.png

Preview of image 'aaTest-PS.png'
aaTest-PS.png