POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Anti-Aliasing Problem including sample image (58k) : Re: Anti-Aliasing Problem including sample image (58k) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anti-Aliasing Problem including sample image (58k)
From: hughes, b
Date: 26 Nov 2002 18:30:16
Message: <3de40408@news.povray.org>
"Rene Schwietzke" <r.s### [at] reneschwietzkede> wrote in message
---snip---
> After thinking about the algorithms of anti-aliasing I seems pretty clear
> me, that such effect can occur. Anti-aliasing averages colors to find a
more
> suitable color at edges and so tries to improve the image quality. But the
> average between a light blue and magenta is dark blue, even when this
means
> stressing the edge instead of smoothing it.
---snip---
> Does anyone know a way to suppress this strange but quite logical
behavior?
> Would it make sense to use an averaging algorithm based on HSL instead of
> RGB to improve the results? Of course, it could also be a problem without
> any solution. Comments are welcome.

Good example. Yellow against magenta also looks a little strange to me. And
where the blue checkers are the yellow and light green cylinders darken. If
other programs also do this like you say then it sounds like a holy grail
idea, but maybe a good one anyway.If I only knew how HSL would effect it...