POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SuperSinusoidal : Re: SuperSinusoidal Server Time
14 Aug 2024 13:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SuperSinusoidal
From: hughes, b
Date: 23 Nov 2002 23:52:47
Message: <3de05b1f@news.povray.org>
"Simon Lemieux" <no_### [at] no_spamcom> wrote in message
> > >  how could I possibily create a 3D fractal?
> >
> > hmm... julia and mandelbrot objects in help ?
>
> I would like to Learn about isoblobs and isosurfaces, in order to master
> them so I could twist the bloblike thing into my IFS.  Do you know of a
> good Start?  Tutorial? Docs... etc... ?

Well, there is only a couple about isosurfaces I'm real familiar with
although there might be others.

http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/isotut/

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/index.htm

I saw your animation, of what could be called a drill auger, and unless the
size of the bounding box or sphere that you used for it changes it I'm not
sure about scaling it wider. Just now looking at it.

Okay, looked and tried and changed:

// scaling values
#declare Xs=1.5;
#declare Ys=1.5;
#declare Zs=2.5;

isosurface {
function {
  ((x*Xs)*cos((z+2*Zs*clock)*2*pi) + x*x +
  (y*Ys)*sin((z+2*Zs*clock)*2*pi) + y*y)
}
threshold 0
max_gradient 12 // increase as larger scales are used
accuracy .001
contained_by {box {-<1*Xs,1*Ys,1*Zs>,<1*Xs,1*Ys,1*Zs>}}
pigment {rgb 1}
//finish {ambient .5}
 rotate <0,0,0>
 translate 3*z
}

First thing to take notice of in your equation is that version 3.5 is not
able to see the ^ symbol,  you will need to use pow(x,2) instead. Or
mulitply a value by itself, as I did here. I don't know if I ended up with
the iso correctly, just a quick hack at it to see if it would scale upward
as I expected (which it did I think).

Farewell,
Bob