POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Seven dots show the sky : Re: Seven dots show the sky Server Time
14 Aug 2024 13:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seven dots show the sky
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 20 Nov 2002 16:54:47
Message: <3ddc04a7$1@news.povray.org>
"Jaime Vives Piqueres" <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote in message
news:200### [at] ignoranciaorg...
>   Well, actually the MAX_LUMENS variable was a weird idea. I changed it
> to a simple multiplier, now called EXPOSURE, as it was only a way to
> control the overall level of light on the scene.
>
> I've also done some
> minor changes and corrected some mistakes on the conversion algoritm,

Which one? (I do not have the files here to compare : they are on another
computer) Spectra -> rgb ?

I notice that Light_Color=lct2*lm*lm/MAX_LUMEN becomes Light_Color=
balanced_color *lm*EXPOSURE

I must confess I changed the squared lm to lm while I was trying your files,
but it was just because I could use the linear law more easily. Was the
squared lm physically wrong?

I also notice that the new balanced_color is a third of the old one. With
these two changes, I suppose the outputted color values are much lower. I
suppose one can use something like EXPOSURE = 3000/MAX_LUMEN as a rough
beginning value to get approximately the same results.

> but I've not announced the new version

Too late! Now it is done ;-)

Could I advise you to simplify your macro usage ? I would much more prefer
to write :

light_source {
  <1,2,3>*1e6
  Light_Color(cl_incandescent_60w, lm_w60_incandescent)
  Cosine_Fallof_Spot()
  point_at <9,8,7>
  }

then the current long argument line that I find difficult to remember and
having to translate and rotate the light afterwards. BTW, wouldn't be good
to unify the cl/sp_sourcetype_##w and the lm_w##_sourcetype notation (I
prefer the former, but that's just personnal taste) ?

> because I'm still muddling along
> with some things (http://www.ignorancia.org/t_lightsys.php).

Many thanks !

Povingly,