POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Power-walking a figure-8 (744KB) : Re: Power-walking a figure-8 (744KB) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 13:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power-walking a figure-8 (744KB)
From: Rune
Date: 18 Nov 2002 12:29:27
Message: <3dd92377$1@news.povray.org>
That's impressive. :)

I found that the hardest part in making this kind of automated walking,
is when the character changes speed, for example from standing to
walking, or from walking to running. I haven't yet actually tried the
latter...

However, one thing I successfully implemented was an algorithm to
preserve a somewhat realistic dependency between speed, step distance
and step time. In short, the distance of one step length should be about
inversely proportional with the time that it takes to take that step. So
when the speed increases, it should be achieved partly by taking longer
steps, and partly by taking quicker steps. However, as with most of my
other work, this approach was based on a guess* of how these things
work, rather than on actual scientific papers.

* And I tried to do some walking and running at various velocities
myself, which must have looked pretty silly, when at the same time I had
to measure how long steps I took, and how fast. ;)

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated Oct 19)