POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mirror Ball with Photon Spotlights (30KB) : Re: Mirror Ball with Photon Spotlights (30KB) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mirror Ball with Photon Spotlights (30KB)
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 18 Nov 2002 04:38:47
Message: <3dd8b526@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:

> I recently made a disco ball image. My solution was to put every facet of
> the disco ball into an array, remembering its normal, and manually
> calculate the direction light would bounce off each corner of it from a
> given light source, and then find the intersections of those with the
> floor (in your case, with each wall, ceiling, and floor separately),
> drawing a box between the four corners of the reflection with some
> triangles.
>
> I resorted to this solution because I was also putting *media* in the
> scene, and this made it a lot faster and more accurate than media photons
> did. In your case, you may just be able to increase the number of photons,
> since you have no media.

I used a similar approach for my disco ball. However, I simply put spot
lights next to the surface of the disco ball. This saves you from using
an array. An image, a short animation and source can be found in my
raytracing gallery at http://www.grafik.willhalm.de/ . Be aware that the
scene was written for povray 3.0 (or was it 3.1?).

Thomas