POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 8-Ball (47kb) : Re: 8-Ball (47kb) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 8-Ball (47kb)
From: Daniel Nilsson
Date: 13 Nov 2002 07:19:59
Message: <3dd2436f@news.povray.org>
"Xplo Eristotle" <xpl### [at] infomagicnet> wrote in message
> The reflection seems WAY too strong. Try reducing it a lot.. say, to a
> fifth of it's current value (I'm guessing, so fiddle around).
> Alternately, you could try using variable reflection, which might be
> more accurate for an 8-ball; I don't have one to examine myself.

I looked closely on my real 8-ball and I'm allmost sure the reflections are
variable.

> The white part needs to be brighter. I don't know if this is a
> pigmentation problem, a lighting problem, or if you've reduced the
> diffuse finish of the ball to compensate for the reflection (if so,
> recalculate a new diffuse finish to correspond to the much lower
> reflection you should be using. If not, consider doing this to get more
> realistic reflective objects; anything that reflects most of the light
> hitting it won't diffuse very much).

You're right. I will change both the finnish and the light: Less reflection
and more light.

> You might consider making the black parts just SLIGHTLY whiter than pure
> black. Very few things in the world even approach being so utterly black
> that they can't be illuminated at all, which is the effect that rgb 0
> will produce in POV-Ray.

It is not pure black as it is (0.1 gray), but maybe it should be a little
bit whiter still.

> As far as your environment.. adding more things to reflect will not only
> make your reflections more interesting, but they'll provide more
> surfaces for radiosity to interact with, which in turn will make your
> lighting more interesting. I highly recommend filling in the blanks. As
> to what to add to the scene: well, you HAVE a pool table! So stand next
> to it and look around. What else do you have?

Good point. I will build a simple room around the table (which is just a
infinite plane right now).

> Increase count. There are other factors that affect the number, size,
> and general appearance of radiosity artifacts, but when it comes to just
> getting rid of them, it mainly boils down to count.

What do you consider a good value for count?

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Daniel Nilsson