POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 8-Ball (47kb) : Re: 8-Ball (47kb) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 8-Ball (47kb)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 12 Nov 2002 22:19:17
Message: <3dd1c4b5@news.povray.org>
Daniel Nilsson wrote:

> 1. The reflections in the ball. Maybe it is that there is nothing to reflect
> in the upper part (except for the lights). Suggestions anybody?

The reflection seems WAY too strong. Try reducing it a lot.. say, to a
fifth of it's current value (I'm guessing, so fiddle around).
Alternately, you could try using variable reflection, which might be
more accurate for an 8-ball; I don't have one to examine myself.

The white part needs to be brighter. I don't know if this is a
pigmentation problem, a lighting problem, or if you've reduced the
diffuse finish of the ball to compensate for the reflection (if so,
recalculate a new diffuse finish to correspond to the much lower
reflection you should be using. If not, consider doing this to get more
realistic reflective objects; anything that reflects most of the light
hitting it won't diffuse very much).

You might consider making the black parts just SLIGHTLY whiter than pure
black. Very few things in the world even approach being so utterly black
that they can't be illuminated at all, which is the effect that rgb 0
will produce in POV-Ray.

As far as your environment.. adding more things to reflect will not only
make your reflections more interesting, but they'll provide more
surfaces for radiosity to interact with, which in turn will make your
lighting more interesting. I highly recommend filling in the blanks. As
to what to add to the scene: well, you HAVE a pool table! So stand next
to it and look around. What else do you have?

> 2. There are some radiosity artifacts under the ball. This is my first
> radiosity only scene, so I could really need some advice here.

Increase count. There are other factors that affect the number, size,
and general appearance of radiosity artifacts, but when it comes to just
getting rid of them, it mainly boils down to count.

-Xplo