POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Newbie syntax problem : Re: Newbie syntax problem Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie syntax problem
From: hughes, b
Date: 12 Nov 2002 06:05:18
Message: <3dd0e06e@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
news:chr### [at] netplexaussieorg...
> In article <3dd05985@news.povray.org>,
>  "hughes, b." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
>
> > No dodecahedron (yet), so I leave that up to you to try and figure out.
>
> There's one in the include files.

Yes, I pointed that out before myself.  :-)

> > Especially since I'm not sure what I'm doing with it. Chris's loop idea
> > sounds simpler but I couldn't get it to make one by rotating just the x
> > value, not with the loop he suggested though.
>
> The main problem was not with the loop, but with the prism statement, I
> didn't give a complete one. My excuse? I've never used the object
> before... ;-)
> There was also a typo that would have made it work only with 12 sides,
> but that doesn't seem to be what you ran into.
> I'm not sure what you mean by "rotating just the x value", unless you
> mean x as in < 1, 0, 0>.
> This seems to work fine, with shorter code, and supporting any number of
> sides.

Yeah, that is great. Glad to see it can work that way, so thanks for
expanding on that scene script for it.

You misunderstood what I was saying, typing as I would speak there. I just
meant I hadn't even tried the loop and only did the prism like:

#declare v_01 =  <1, 0>;
#declare v_02 =  vrotate(<1, 0>,30*y);
#declare v_03 =  vrotate(<1, 0>,60*y);
#declare v_12 =  vrotate(<1, 0>,330*y);

which is the loop without the loop, I guess you could say, and got nothing
right from that. My mistake is apparently that I kept it using y instead of
z. I was *that* close! Oh well. Not my dodecagon anyway.  ;-)

Bob H.