POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Film exposure simulation patch : Re: Film exposure simulation patch Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:26:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Film exposure simulation patch
From: hughes, b
Date: 10 Nov 2002 07:37:07
Message: <3dce52f3@news.povray.org>
"Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message

> I meant if they were inferior to analog cams. Kari said the chemicals on
> film influences the light-response curve. This is not possible with
digital
> cams (they don't use chemicals). But since many real-life situations
> features strong contrast between light and shadow, I would consider
digital
> cams inferior if they just clipped the range, so, for example the sky gets
> white and the ground gets black. This sometimes happen with my digi-cam. I
> can think of at least 2 ways to solve the problem, one by software and
> another by hardware of digital cams, but never mind.
>
> I think it makes sense to have a feature in POV that mengles with the
> light-response curve. It's much easier than using separate software.

My digital camera does 10 bit analog to digital conversion and I know other
cameras are either less or more than that. So it does clip to a certain
range that way. People talk about it a lot in the digital camera message
boards.

What you suggest sounds, to me, like a variation on assumed_gamma. Something
which widens or narrows the range of visible color depth instead of just
raising or lowering that range. If I am thinking of this in the right way,
that doesn't seem too useful in typical renders. At least unless the output
image is above 24 bits, or the idea is to limit it to less than that in a 24
bit image. I'm just not knowledgable on this topic enough to see any
possible benefit, if done within POV-Ray anyhow.

--
Farewell,
Bob