POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire frame? : Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr= Server Time
6 Oct 2024 23:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr=
From: Johannes Dahlstrom
Date: 9 Nov 2002 14:14:34
Message: <3dcd5e9a@news.povray.org>
normdoering wrote:

> How about "plugins?" A lot of programs, like Corel Draw, have programs you
> can plug in to Corel to do extra fancy stuff to pictures. I think they're
> ..DLLs...?

It has been proposed before... the big problem with plugins is that there's
no platform independent way to implement them. Windows has dll's and *nices
have .so's etc. Plugins compiled on one platform wouldn't work on other.
Besides, if they would be distributed in compiled form, other users
couldn't modify them to suit their needs. Making their sources availabele
wouldn't help much, because one would need a separate compiler to use them.
IMO it's much better to have a dedicated, powerful language to do this kind
of stuff.