POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dahlstrom craters [~93K Jpg] : Re: Blandston craters [~77K Jpg] Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blandston craters [~77K Jpg]
From: hughes, b
Date: 9 Nov 2002 09:34:25
Message: <3dcd1cf1@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
news:chr### [at] netplexaussieorg...

> The radial spokes? That is an interesting effect...you would have to
> combine a function texture with the geometry (if this isn't already
> done).

Already been thinking that over, not sure I could do it right enough.

> One thing I noticed: the craters overlap each other. In reality, new
> craters tend to obliterate the features where they hit, and maybe spread
> debris over parts of surrounding craters...you would see traces of large
> old craters covered by small new ones, or a big new one with only a few
> small marks on it. I don't know how this would be done with a function,
> I'd do it by simulating the craters hitting over time on a mesh
> landscape.

Not me, I couldn't use a mesh easily enough.  ;-)

> Still, it looks like a very good "cratered landscape", the vast majority
> of people wouldn't notice this or care.

Thanks again. Yeah, I believe most people would see this kind of thing in a
imaginitive sort of way rather than from well-known memory. Same thing as
how any Earth-bound ground might be a real place or imagined. Variation
seems the key though.

As the new subject line is saying, I've attached a redo of Dave Blandston's
craters and those show a kind of ejecta around them, but I haven't changed
that much from the original.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'texturedcraters.jpg' (57 KB)