POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Designing a shuttle : Re: Designing a shuttle Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Designing a shuttle
From: Songa butera Jean-luc
Date: 8 Nov 2002 15:25:09
Message: <3dcc1da5$1@news.povray.org>

3dca9b6e@news.povray.org...
> Hello folks,

Hi!

> I'm not quite satisfied with this model I'm working on. Every major part
is
> planned to have a logical function on a shuttle (such as engine, fuel
tank,
> cargo box, entrance, cockpit). But I doubt it looks really clear on the
> model right now, and I'm not sure the overall impression will improve just
> by adding more details.

First of all you must be sure of WHERE that shuttle is going to be working.
In mechanical design, usage dictate a lot to the shape.
If it's going to operate in atmospheric conditions it definitely needs wings
to support itself.
If it is destined to be an underwater vehicle its shape needs adjustements.
Finally if space is your final frontiere, I have nothing to say since I've
never been there so you can do whatever you want as long as it's cool
^______^

> Every direction I move in from now will take a lot of time, so I'm
> interested in your advice. How would you go on from this point? Should I
> change something, or just go on?

Since your not sure yourself where to go I can only give you tips that will
ease your work when texturing come into play.
-Keep all the significant elements seperate. It helps A LOT when UVmapping
an complexe shape.
-Use the material function in Wings3D. Materials can be exported to POV and
you can spot easily design flaws.
-Don't forget to use medias for those engines to have a real cool warp
engine effect ^_____^

> Ehm, yeah the model is mostly polygon-modelled in Wings3D and rendered
with
> POV of course, although a few things are 'hand coded' in POV.

Very good choice  -__^
Don't forget to check their discussion board since they talk about functions
that are implemented but are not visible easily.

Jean-luc, fellow Winger, Pover and Blenderer