POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Designing a shuttle : Re: Designing a shuttle Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Designing a shuttle
From: Hugo
Date: 8 Nov 2002 10:17:52
Message: <3dcbd5a0@news.povray.org>
Bob wrote:

> I really like this sort of look. Seamless, molded plastic
> Even if it is meant to be a type of metal alloy instead. :-)

Yes, it's plastic. I don't know if I can get the metallic look without
destroying the smoothness. But many real-life models of spaceships that you
can buy and texture yourself, are also 'plastic-looking' until they are
clever textured.

> those three raised lines on the upper right. If they were to look
> like access panels to some interior machinery that could make sense.

Nice idea. I don't like too much nonsense on sci-fi ships, but it's hard to
avoid.

> create copies of those kinds of parts to use as clippings
> from the original piece, reshaped just enough to slice into the
> model along edges. Then you'd also have a kind of working
> model with parts able to move and not just a static mockup.

As I understand it, you suggest that I reuse some parts, like real-life
model-builders have some copies of nonsense shapes to glue around their
ships? This is probably a good idea to avoid too much diversity, but optain
a kind of harmonic design.

Regards,
Hugo