POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : An Triskell Nevez : Re: An Triskell Nevez Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An Triskell Nevez
From: Marc Jacquier
Date: 5 Nov 2002 19:21:12
Message: <3dc86078$1@news.povray.org>

news: 3DC83B03.FDAC568B@tiscalinet.de...
> An Triskell Nevez - is that Gaelic? I presume "Triskell" is the word for
the
> tripartite metal ornament, for "tri" is a very basic
> Indo-European root word for "three"... but "an" and "nevez"? Could "Nevez"
> mean "new"?

That's Breton language (similar to Wales Welsh, Cornwals Cornick and Isle of
Man Manx) which are Celtic but different from Gaelic (Ireland and Scotland)
Triskell (yes "tri" is "three" :) is the symbol of the three elements known
by Celtic ancient peoples: Earth, Water and Fire.
"An" stands for "The" and yes "nevez" means "new".
Good guess :-)
Marc
Brittany