POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Particle matrix effect with I/O (277kb mpg) : Re: Particle matrix effect with I/O (277kb mpg) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 19:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Particle matrix effect with I/O (277kb mpg)
From: Rune
Date: 3 Nov 2002 19:34:44
Message: <3dc5c0a4$1@news.povray.org>
Mark James Lewin wrote:
> I haven't tried it yet (hopefully will in a few days),
> but assuming
>
> V(new) = V(old) + Acceleration*Delta_Time
> P(new) = P(old) + V(new)*Delta_Time
>
> I cannot see too much trouble with negative Delta_Time
> values so long as the Acceleration term is constant.

Well, to have it work accurately, you have to slow down the rate of the
calculation frames themselves, not the Delta_Time. (I think.)

For a small simulation, simply changing the Delta_Time may seem to work
perfectly, but imagine having a simulation running for 10 seconds, then
going 10 seconds backwards. (Or if you need a more extreme example, make
it one minute both ways.)

The small precision errors can accumulate very much in such a situation,
so you have no guarantee that the particles will end up at exactly the
same positions where they started. And if they can end up a little off,
then they can also end up completely off, given a more complex case.

> As for saving particle data for each frame

> I can typically save data for 1500-2500 particles
> before the data files get larger than a 320X240
> frame saved in an uncompressed format. I don't
> see this as a major problem considering hard disk
> sizes nowadays.

2500 particles for how many seconds and with how many steps per second?
And how much data do you have per particle per step?

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated Oct 19)