POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : cheap smoke (divx) : Re: cheap smoke (divx) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 19:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cheap smoke (divx)
From: hughes, b
Date: 2 Nov 2002 00:52:42
Message: <3dc3682a@news.povray.org>
I'm almost more in awe about that render-time. Having seen this animation I
just had to try the technique myself before I saw any pov script of it. I
managed to get a nice clumpy trail of smoke but the thing is terribly slow.
There was an incredible speed change when I went from using a #declare for
the texture to a #local instead. I have that smoke texture within the same
while loop that the disc is in. In fact, at some point I thought POV-Ray was
giving up it got so slow at the point where the distant end of the trail was
supposed to appear in the sky.

About to get your script and check that out, so thanks for posting it!
--
Farewell,
Bob