POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Jinx! : Re: Jinx! Server Time
14 Jun 2024 14:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jinx!
From: Shay
Date: 31 Oct 2002 14:39:38
Message: <3dc186fa@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote in message

> I disagree about the rules of the IRTC being strange in that concern.
> <snip>

I don't believe that the rules are strange, just lenient. It isn't a
criticism.

> Concerning this specific image i don't think the car models add that much
> to the artistic and technical value of the image.

No, but they increase the realism and complexity, qualities which past IRTC
results have shown to be extremely important to the voters. All 5 of Gilles
winning entries even had the highest concept scores.

> And apart from that every voter is free to take the use of things not
> created by the artist himself into account when voting.  I try to do so,
> if the artist did not specify which things are self made i also tend to
> lower the scores due to lack of this important information.  None the less
> in most outstanding images the elements reused from elsewhere play a
> limited role in the overall result and with some experience it's fairly
> easy to see if a scene is only some ready-made elements thrown together or
> shows artistic and technical ability.

Of course, but even taking those things into account, 1,000 hours of work
make an incredible impression which will heavily influence the scores of
most judges if the comments from past rounds are any indication. I don't
think that Gilles is taking an advantage, rather that the other talented
people entering the competition are handicapping themselves. I do not
believe it likely that this handicap can be overcome. A great image can be
made without these things. Gilles own Eden may be an example. Gilles doesn't
need these things to win, but he will not be beaten again until some other
talented entrant starts taking advantage of every tool available to him.

 -Shay