POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : PartixGen - Inertia (MPG 278kb) : Re: PartixGen - Inertia (MPG 278kb) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 19:27:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PartixGen - Inertia (MPG 278kb)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 29 Oct 2002 11:32:51
Message: <3dbeb833@news.povray.org>
> Nice work.

Thanks!

> I must admit however I'm a bit confused as to what's happening.  I'd be
less
> disoriented if there were some object or other way to get a feel for where
> the particles are being generated from.  I was expecting it to be one end
of
> the railing but am not sure of its purpose.

Hm, that would probably be of use. In some cases, the emitter
need not be visualized, because particles are present in the first
frame, but when particles appear, it might be better. I'll add it.

> It's cool that you have squash & stretch: does this limit use of other
> particles?

Nope. The effect may even be applied to other particles, though
that will most probably look strange. Its achieved by stretching
the particle along the z-axis and rotating it appropriately. So this
is best used with single-colored spheres, as then this method isn't
obvious.
Rebouncing takes place by calculating impacts of a spherical-field
with the box, so differently and uneven sized objects may look strange when
rebouncing, but that's a problem all general particle systems suffer
in POV (at least those I've seen so far).

> It looks like the particles are intersecting each other.  Is this a
> yet-to-be fixed bug, OR is your system more designed for fluids and the
> like?

Its not a bug, its a feature! :-)
To be honest, it cannot be overcome, and the system thus is best
used for liquids, smoke, fire etc. Efficiently and expertly used it
may not be obvious that particles intersect (when they're spaced far
enough apart and move around, you'll hardly notice one or two
intersections). After all, its not a real physical simulation. I'd like
to do that one day, but using pure POV-script this is just toooo
slooooow.

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde