POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : PartixGen - Inertia (MPG 278kb) : Re: PartixGen - Inertia (MPG 278kb) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 13:30:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PartixGen - Inertia (MPG 278kb)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 29 Oct 2002 09:33:40
Message: <3dbe9c44$1@news.povray.org>
> I had to view it a few times, but after that I had no problems to
understand
> what's going on. The camera movement is a little distracting because it
has
> nothing to do with the P.S., but I guess it helps to optain a good viewing
> angle all the way. Maybe it could move less, though.

I was beginning to think so to. Its a little too much movement
of the camera...

> It would be great with collision detection between the balls, even though
> such a feature would be slow. It would be a great step towards realism and
> help separate your P.S. from Rune's. It seems your system is aimed at
> simulating solid objects falling around.

That is actually not possible. Rune's PS works by using I/O, every
next step is based on the last, particles move from their position
with a given velocity and direction, the new position is saved, and
loaded and redone for the next frame.
My system uses no I/O, the path a particle takes is calculated using
the simple graph
Position=Initial_Position+Direction*Velocity+Gravity*t*t

Solving the equation to find certain x, y and z values and recalculating
the graph from there results in what you see as the rebouncing off of
walls.
In this manner, I can't check for every particle, IF and WHEN at
*some* time, two particles *might* collide, and IF they DO, what
to do then...
So, I'm not calculating in iteration steps, but rather as processing the
path through time, which is (when not interacting with other particles
and only with the boundary-box) already quite difficult.

In my case, there's no interaction with the environment, but only with a
mathematical boundary, which *happens* to be like a non-rotated box...

So, solid (spherical) objects falling around is actually Rune's
strength, the particles interact with the environment. My system is
aimed at custom particle effects, more like "Magic Sparkles",
perhaps a splash of water, some fire. But without real interaction
with an environment. The strength of my system is that it can
animate backwards, and fade to a stop (bullet-time). Search the
animation-posts for "Matrix-Effect with PartixGen"...

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias